Strong Background Defending Clients in Audits and Investigations
Since 1996, attorney Thomas Zimmerman has represented doctors, dentists, psychologists, veterinarians, optometrists, insurance companies, real estate agents and other professionals seeking licensure, facing disciplinary sanctions against their Illinois state license, and requiring legal representation in administrative law judge trials.
Are you concerned that a complaint could lead to an internal investigation? Be proactive and contact an Illinois state licensure attorney by calling 1-877-440-0020 to schedule a free initial consultation.
At the Zimmerman Law Offices, P.C., our lawyers help professionals with their state licensure issues, including representing clients applying for professional licenses and those required to appear in disciplinary hearings before the Illinois Department of Financial and Professional Regulation in Chicago.
Department of Financial and Professional Regulation
The Illinois Department of Financial and Professional Regulation (IDFPR) licenses over one million professionals in approximately 100 different industries. The IDFPR protects the public by ensuring licensed professionals are adequately tested and qualified for their professions through enforcing and maintaining rigorous standards. To effectively carry out its various activities, the IDFPR is comprised of three divisions:
- The Division of Banking
- The Division of Financial Institutions
- The Division of Professional Regulation
- The Division of Real Estate
Department of Insurance
The Illinois Department of Insurance (DOI) regulates and licenses professionals and businesses providing insurance within the state. The DOI protects the public by enforcing insurance regulations and monitoring the market behavior and financial viability of insurance providers in Illinois.
Qualified to Represent Professionals With Licensure Issues
Mr. Zimmerman has been honored as one of the “Top 40 Illinois Lawyers Under Age 40” for his effective legal counsel. He is qualified to defend professionals in licensure matters before the IDFPR through his extensive trial experience and work in two key areas.
Mr. Zimmerman was appointed by the Governor of Illinois to the Illinois Courts Commission, overseeing disciplinary action involving judges. Mr. Zimmerman was also appointed by the Illinois Supreme Court to the Review Board of the Attorney Registration and Disciplinary Commission to handle appeals of lawyers charged with professional misconduct.
In representing medical, insurance and other professionals, Zimmerman Law Offices has obtained many favorable results for clients, including:
- Successfully appealing to the Illinois Circuit Court the IDFPR’s suspension of a doctor’s license. The suspension was vacated and reversed.
- Successfully appealing to the Illinois Circuit Court a denial of an application for a pharmacist’s license. As a result, it was the first time in Illinois that a graduate of a Russian pharmacy school was granted a license in Illinois.
- Successfully sued the IDFPR to compel it to return stolen patient records.
Zimmerman Law Offices has also represented a wide range of professionals facing a variety of legal allegations such as:
- Clinical psychologist: public disclosure of patient records
- Cosmetologist: denial of application for licensure
- Dentist: fraudulent billing practices, sanitation, continuing education, patient abandonment
- Doctor: unprofessional patient care, improper record keeping, overprescribing narcotics, failure to diagnose
- Insurance agency: failing to remit premiums to insurance company
- Locksmith/Agency: overbilling, failing to adequately supervise employees, false advertising, failure to have branch office license
- Nursing: false statements on job and license applications, improper actions toward patient, misappropriation of medication, impairment due to alcohol abuse
- Optometrist: practicing without an Illinois license, continuing education issues
- Pharmacist: denial of application for licensure
- Real Estate/Brokerage/Appraisal: continuing education requirements, failure to promptly deposit earnest money, improper disbursement of earnest money, failing to meet request for records, improper appraisal
- Security alarm agency: employing untrained and unlicensed contractors
- Veterinarian: negligence, unprofessional conduct, failing to meet request for medical records
Contact a Chicago Health Care Professional’s Attorney
Attorney Zimmerman provides experienced, effective representation regarding a license application denial or defense against charges of ethics violations, fraud or professional malpractice. Contact us or call 1-877-440-0020 to schedule a free initial consultation.
Real Estate Broker Accused of Failing to Provide Required Documents – A real estate agent filed a complaint with the Illinois Department of Financial and Professional Regulation (IDFPR) alleging that a broker failed to provide the agent with a signed copy of the agent’s Independent Contractor Agreement, as required by the Illinois Administrative Code. Prior to filing his complaint with the IDFPR, the agent had breached the Agreement by surreptitiously having his real estate license transferred to another broker under false pretenses and without providing any advance notice to the broker, and the broker had lodged a complaint with the IDFPR arising out of the agent’s professional misconduct. We demonstrated to the IDFPR that the agent had been given a signed copy of the Agreement, and the agent’s complaint was merely an attempt to exact vengeance on the broker for previously lodging a complaint against the agent. The IDFPR closed the file with no discipline taken against the real estate broker.